TLILIC3017 – Licence to drive a heavy combination vehicle
This unit addresses the knowledge and skill necessary to obtain a Heavy Combination Drivers Licence. It includes systematically and efficiently controlling all vehicle functions, monitoring of traffic and road conditions, managing vehicle condition and performance, coupling & uncoupling of trailer & effective management of hazardous situations.
VEHICLE CLASS HC – Heavy Combination
A prime mover or single semi-trailer exceeding 9 tonne, or rigid vehicle plus trailer greater than 9 tonnes GVM. A Mass and Dimension permit may also be required. Check with VicRoads by calling 13 11 71. To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 24 months, including Medium Rigid or Heavy Rigid licence for at least 12 months.
• Road Rules and Compliance
• Pre-Operational Checks
• Cabin Drill
• Start Vehicle
• Steering Management
• Gear Management
• Brake & Accelerator Management
• Crash Avoidance Space
• Hill Start/Stops
• Load Securing, Coupling & Uncoupling a Trailer
• Shutdown & Secure Vehicle
To upgrade to this licence class you must have held a car licence for 2 years continuously, including Medium Rigid or Heavy Rigid Licence for at least 12 months.
1-5 Days Dependent upon student aptitude and previous experience.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
• You must have held a class c – car licence for a period of 2 years continuously, including MR or HR for 12 months.
• At the time of enrolment, you must disclose any medications or disability which may affect your learning or driving ability.
• You must understand and speak the English language at a level that enables the safe performance of driving a heavy vehicle.
• You must supply your current drivers licence and 1 other form of ID. i.e. Medicare card.
• You are required to wear comfortable and practical clothing and enclosed footwear.
• Please arrive 10 minutes prior to the commencement of training, Tea & Coffee is provided.
VICTORIAN LICENCE HOLDERS – WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
• Go to VicRoads and purchase the Truck & Bus Handbook and study it, as this is what your knowledge assessment will be based on. Your knowledge test will be conducted at 1 STOP DRIVING SCHOOL.
• Contact us and book in for your driver training and assessment, a deposit is required at the time of booking.
• On the day
➢ Bring with you your current drivers licence and a secondary form of ID
➢ You will be required to complete a licence application
➢ Undergo a vision test (If you wear glasses ensure you bring them along)
➢ During the course and prior to the driving assessment you will undertake a knowledge test
➢ Receive driver training and a competency-based assessment
• On successful completion go to VicRoads with the documents we provided you with, pay the appropriate licence fee and upgrade your licence.
N.S.W. LICENCE HOLDERS – WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
The RTA Roads & Traffic Authority is now known as RMS – Roads & Maritime Services
• You can practice the Heavy vehicle knowledge test on the RMS website as many times as you like (see the following link) http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/driverknowledgetest/demonstrationdriverknowledgetest/index.html
• When you are confident with your practice results go to the RMS (you may need to book in) and undertake the knowledge test. You need to complete the test at least 3 days prior to your driver training booking.
• You will need to provide RMS with:
➢ Your current Drivers Licence & Payment for the knowledge test
➢ Once you have passed your knowledge test, you will be required to undertake a vision test (If you wear glasses ensure you take them along)
• Contact our office and book in for your Driver Training & Assessment, a deposit is required at the time of booking.
• On successful completion your results will be reported to RMS, you then need to go to RMS, pay the appropriate fee and upgrade your licence.
PAYMENT & TRADING TERMS
All courses require a position holding deposit of 50%. Applicants will be advised of the amount at the time of the booking. Payment for the balance is required prior to the final assessment being conducted. You will be provided with a student information book. Corporate clients will be forwarded an authority to invoice on the term of a 14-day account unless prior arrangements have been made. Facilities include Credit Card, EFTPOS, Cheque or Cash.
ASSESSMENT / REASSESSMENT
The participant is trained/instructed on each competency, the participant must then demonstrate the ability to perform each criteria and will be progressively assessed, this is determined by when the assessor believes the participant is competent in the task criteria. Should the participant be deemed not competent, under legislative standards the assessor must wait an hour before re-assessing the participant in the same competency. The FCA – final competency assessment, is conducted on successful completion of the HVCBA (as above) if an applicant exceeds the allowable error rate they will receive a failed result and will be required to undergo a full retest. Further fees are applicable for participants that require reassessment.
LICENCES & CERTIFICATION
This course is a Nationally Recognised Training and applicants deemed competent at the conclusion of the course will be provided with a Statement of Attainment and the appropriate Licensing Body’s – Licence Application form. The applicant is responsible for the payment of Licensing fees for Heavy Vehicle when they lodge their licence upgrade with RMS or VicRoads. A non-accredited Licence is available, contact the office for further details.
CANCELLATION & WITHDRAWALS
In the event of cancellation or withdrawal from this course a minimum of 72 hours notice is mandatory. 10% of the deposit will be retained by 1 Stop Driving School for administration fees, the remainder of the deposit will be returned to the original payer. Dependent upon circumstances students may be offered an alternative date for training. There is no charge for a student to transfer to an alternative date, provided 72 hours notice has been provided. In the event 1 Stop Driving School is not notified of the cancellation and the student does not attend training, the full course fee may be applicable, the student agreement form specifies that the student/client is liable for full course fees upon non-attendance. In the event 1 Stop Driving School cancel the training course and is not rescheduling then a full refund will be returned to the payer.
TLILIC3017 forms part of the Certificate III TLI31216 Transport & Logistics Driving Operations. This unit of competency can provide Job Pathways in the fields of Heavy General Freight, Line Haul, or Bus Driver. For more information please refer to the Transport & Logistics Industry Skills Council: www.tlisc.org.au
Synchromesh gearboxes do not require the driver to double-clutch. The gearbox has synchro rings which match the road speed and the engine revs which allows the gear to be selected.
In order to change gears in non synchromesh gearboxes, the engine revs need to match the road speed for the gear change to happen. This is achieved by double clutching. Basically, double clutching is a process where you depress the clutch to take the gearbox out of gear, press again to engage neutral before selecting the appropriate gear.