FWPCOT3238 – Operate a pole saw
This course provides the skills and knowledge required to trim high branches reachable with a mechanical pole saw and to promote tree growth by trimming excess branches. The unit includes preparation for trimming, assessing trees, conducting de-limbing techniques and equipment maintenance.
• Work in accordance with OHS/WHS, environmental and organisational requirements
• Prepare for trimming utilising work plans
• Establish communication methods
• Select appropriate tools & equipment required
• Pre-start up checks
• Visually assess site conditions & surroundings
• Identify and control potential risks & hazards
• Assess tree characteristics, location and stability
• Select and clear suitable escape route
• Apply tree trimming techniques including cutting techniques according to OHS/WHS & job requirements
• Clear worksite of debris according to environmental care principles
• Conduct equipment maintenance, identify any repairs or replacements required
• Conduct chain sharpening
• Clean and store equipment according to workplace requirements and manufacturers specifications
• Report trimming processes and equipment faults to appropriate personnel
There are no pre-requisites for this unit of competency.
1-2 Days Dependent upon student aptitude, the number of course participants and weather conditions
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
• At the time of enrolment, you must disclose any medications or disability which may affect your learning or physical ability to conduct the safe operation of a pole saw
• You must understand and speak the English language at a level that enables the safe operation of a pole saw
• You must supply your current drivers licence or another form of photo identification
• You are required to wear comfortable and practical clothing and workboots and bring steel-capped boots.
• PPE will be provided on the day. However, if you have or have access to chaps, safety helmet including a face mask and hearing protection, cut resistant gloves or a high visibility vest or shirt, please bring them with you.
• Tea & Coffee is provided.
• Please arrive 10 minutes prior to the commencement of training.
This course is Nationally Recognised Training and applicants deemed competent at the conclusion of the course will be provided with a Statement of Attainment and wallet-sized competency card.
PAYMENT & TRADING TERMS
All courses require a position holding deposit of 50%. Applicants will be advised of the amount at the time of the booking. Payment for the balance is required prior to the final assessment being conducted. On receipt of payment, you will be provided with a student information book. Corporate clients will be forwarded an authority to invoice on the term of a 14-day account unless prior arrangements have been made. Facilities include Credit Card, EFTPOS, Cheque or Cash.
ASSESSMENT / REASSESSMENT
The participant is trained/instructed on each competency, the participant must then demonstrate the ability to perform each criteria and will be progressively assessed. Should the participant be deemed not competent, the student has a right to appeal the assessment decision and will be provided with the opportunity to either challenge the assessment or apply for re-assessment within a reasonable time frame. Students have the right to appeal if they are not satisfied with the outcome, according to your rights and responsibilities detailed in the student handbook. Further fees may be applicable for participants that require reassessment.
CANCELLATION & WITHDRAWALS
In the event of cancellation or withdrawal from this course, a minimum of 72 hours’ notice is mandatory. 10% of the deposit will be retained by 1 Stop Driving School for administration fees, the remainder of the deposit will be returned to the original payer. Dependent upon circumstances students may be offered an alternative date for training. There is no charge for a student to transfer to an alternative date, provided 72 hours’ notice has been provided. In the event 1 Stop Driving School is not notified of the cancellation and the student does not attend training, the full course fee may be applicable, the student agreement form specifies that the student/client is liable for full course fees upon non-attendance. In the event 1 Stop Driving School cancel the training course and is not rescheduling then a full refund will be returned to the payer.
FWPCOT3238 Operate a pole saw unit is from the FPI11 Forest and Forest Products Training Package. This unit of competency can provide Job Pathways in the fields of Forest Industry, Agriculture, Local Council, Emergency Services and other government agencies. For more information please refer to the Forest and Forest Products Industry Skills Council: www.forestworks.com.au